Personnel Management That Meets Grant Requirements
Research projects often involve complex hiring needs, high-stakes hiring timelines, and a variety of positions to fill quickly.
The Institute’s Admin Team draws on over 30 years’ experience in successfully solving HR problems for UIC researchers.
Two full-time HR professionals at IHRP hold awards for administrative excellence from the UIC Chancellor’s Office. They are dedicated to providing outstanding service and efficient problem-solving to address researchers’ needs. They know UIC Human Resources procedures, policies and systems thoroughly and have cultivated strong working relationships with central HR staff and colleagues in other units to address HR challenges. Other units often consult our team for guidance with HR processes that are uncommon outside the Institute.
Our HR professionals are accustomed to managing several hundred appointments each year in almost every University employment category:
- Faculty members, including those with appointments split across multiple units and summer salaries.
- Academic professionals, including research specialists, postdoctoral associates and doctoral fellows as well as staff working on visas and international hires.
- Temporary staff, such as field team members.
- Students — predocs, graduate students (RA’s and GA’s) with and without tuition waivers, undergraduate students, including those paid through work-study programs, and volunteers.
- Civil services employees.
Our HR professionals work closely with their Grants and Finance colleagues to ensure timely changes in appointments, accurate labor distributions, and salary expenditures within budget.
Beginning with their warm professional manner, the Institute’s HR professionals are dedicated to providing high quality services and take pride in their record of seamless hiring transitions. They demonstrate great skill in managing complex matters with competing timelines for dozens of researchers simultaneously.
Besides managing appointments, our team offers researchers a full range of HR services:
- Providing researchers information and guidance in all matters related to personnel management and troubleshooting challenges.
- Guiding researchers through hiring processes compliant with University practices and State law while managing all paperwork and tracking approvals through the University.
- Maintaining appointments in compliance with university and funding agencies’ policies through multiple and frequent changes in funding.
- Tracking and ensuring IHRP staff complete University employee requirements (e.g., annual ethics training).
- Working collegially and effectively with HR associates in researchers’ home units and colleges as well as University HR and other central units.
- Recruiting, hiring and supporting a diverse workforce.