UIC Researchers Flourish with IHRP Behind Them
The Institute is an intellectual community — a research home — of UIC researchers thriving in an environment structurally and scientifically devoted to excellence in the service of strong research in social and health sciences.
Researchers and leadership at IHRP offer a range of rich expertise in research approaches and methodologies:
- Intervention research — developing interventions for individuals, families, service providers, institutions, communities, and organizations; engaging community stakeholders in study design; testing interventions from pilot and feasibility studies to randomized control trials, pragmatic and effectiveness trials, and dissemination. Our intervention approaches also target macro-level policies and practices.
- Recruitment and retention of large samples of diverse, and often hard-to-reach participants in longitudinal observational trials and in randomized controlled trials, both in Chicago and across the country.
- Harmonizing, integrating, and analyzing diverse sets of data to examine influences on behavior, public perceptions, and policies.
- Informing policymakers with scientific evidence on societal challenges.
- Using new technology for data collection.
- Cutting-edge approaches to research design and statistical analyses.
- Ethical conduct of human subjects research and consultation on preparation for IRB review of complex grants and troubleshooting.
- Engagement with under-resourced and stigmatized communities.
Learn more about the Institute’s leadership.
Our Scientific Cores
IHRP Fellows and researchers have direct and priority access to IHRP scientific cores. Researchers whose research is not administered by the Institute also can work with these cores on a cost-recharge fee basis.
DATA MANAGEMENT CORE
Data management services include pre-proposal data management plans for the full grant cycle; research protocol development; web-based survey development; mobile platform survey and data collection; data entry and processing; staff training for data management on specific projects; and assistance preparing data for archiving. Professionals in the core can also serve as key personnel or co-investigators on a research grant.
Learn more about the Data Management Core.
METHODOLOGY RESEARCH CORE
This core’s services address methodological and statistical needs of specific research projects. The core’s statisticians offer strengths in both sound methodological expertise and knowledge of the social sciences. They provide power analysis; communicate substantively with behavioral scientists; and construct sophisticated methodological plans for grant proposals that meet critical biostatistical reviews.
Learn more about this core’s statistical and methodological services.
IHRP resides in the Westside Research Office Building, which was built to meet the needs of our Institute. Its floor layouts, offices and conference rooms were designed for collaborative social science and behavioral research.
Learn more about our facilities.
The Institute hosts presentations on a variety of topics of interest to researchers in the health and social sciences, including statistical analyses, professional development, NIH grants preparation, and ongoing research.
The IHRP Events listserv announces upcoming events at the Institute as well as those at the University’s Institute for Research on Race and Public Policy, Cancer Center, Center for Translational and Clinical Science, Center for Dissemination and Implementation Science, among others.