Committed to Other Researchers’ Success
Faculty-researchers highly respected in their fields lead the Institute for Health Research and Policy. They advance the University’s research mission through their deep commitment to the success of UIC researchers in the social and health sciences.
These leaders support UIC researchers at IHRP directly:
- Mentoring early investigators and connecting them with experienced investigators.
- Helping them conceive theoretical frameworks, design rigorous studies and develop interventions.
- Connecting researchers with other collaborators across disciplines to foster team science and to promote more expansive research efforts.
- Organizing informal works-in-progress sessions where new study designs, grants in development, or preliminary research data are presented.
- Reading and editing drafts of proposal narratives.
- Working with researchers to identify solutions to research challenges.
- Guiding researchers to find and engage diverse research participants.
- Providing unique data sets for secondary analysis.
Robin J. Mermelstein, PhD, directs the Institute for Health Research and Policy.
Dr. Mermelstein is a distinguished professor of psychology, a research professor in the Division of Community Health Sciences of the School of Public Health (SPH), and co–principal investigator of the UIC Center for Clinical and Translational Science.
One of the original founders of the Institute, Dr. Mermelstein has been continually funded by the National Institutes of Health as a principal investigator since she joined UIC in the mid 1980s. Her research focuses on the prevention of health risk behaviors with an emphasis on tobacco, interventions to reduce risk, and dissemination and implementation into practice and policy. In 2008, she became the Institute’s director. Learn more about her.
Rachel Gordon, PhD; Marian Fitzgibbon, PhD; and David DuBois, PhD, are associate directors of the Institute.
Dr. Fitzgibbon is a professor of pediatrics in the UIC College of Medicine and professor of health policy and administration in the UIC School of Public Health. Learn more about Dr. Fitzgibbon.
Dr. DuBois is a professor of community health sciences and the SPH associate dean of research in the School of Public Health. He also is a faculty affiliate of the Department of Psychology. Learn more about Dr. DuBois.
Dr. Gordon is a professor of sociology, a Faculty Fellow of the Honors College, and a faculty member of the University of Illinois Institute of Government and Public Affairs (IGPA). In 2018, the University named her a Distinguished Researcher. She serves as the Institute’s first associate director for the social sciences. Learn more about Dr. Gordon.
Other senior investigators at IHRP are national leaders in their fields as well as their home departments or other UIC research centers. All together, professional networks of researchers at IHRP stretch across the campus and the national research community, which can inspire new research collaborations.